|Lim Teck Kim|
|Lim Hoe Chiang Co promoting "Flag Brand" cigarettes|
|Unique tomb of Mr and Mrs Lim Teck Kim|
Lim Teck Kim married the eldest daughter of Mr and Mrs Ong Sam Leong (from Kinmen as well). She passed away on January 16, 1911 at No 89 Chin Swee Road.
Wife: Mrs Lim Teck Kim (Madam Ho Ah Moey)
Ho Ah Moey passed away on June 9, 1951 at the age of 61 at 57 Buffalo Road. She is survived by 10 sons, 13 daughters, 10 son-in-laws, 6 daughter-in-laws, 43 grandchildren.
|Madam Ho Ah Moey|
|Private Lim Cheng San|
Father: Lim Soon Guan (Choon Guan)
Lim Soon Guan (Choon Guan) had 5 sons, Lim Teck Siong, Lim Teck Hin, Lim Teck Chye, Lim Teck Kim and Lim Teck Locke. Lim Teck Siong took over the distribution and sale of liquor /wine business from his uncle, Lim Soon Tee. (chop Kim Hin & Co).
Mother: Tan Koon Lian
Tan Koon Lian, wife of the late Lim Soon Guan passed away on August 13, 1920 at the age of 61 at No. 25 Tras Street. She is the mother of Lim Teck Siong, Lim Teck Hin, Lim Teck Chye, Lim Teck Kim and Lim Teck Locke. She is buried in Alexandra Road Cemetery.
The Happy ValleyThe amusement park was open on February 1, 1924 afternoon by Mrs Lee Choon Guan, M.B.E. who performed the cord cutting ceremony with a golden scissors at the main gates of Happy Valley just before the Chinese New Year. The main attraction includes a boxing stadium that can be adapted to use for theatrical shows and circuses. Another attraction is a big three decked steamer, nicknamed the "ship" with wide decks that accommodate hundreds of people. On the grounds also is a towering pagoda.
In 1925, Happy Valley also transformed to be a site of worship and memorial for the late Dr Sun Yat Sen and on the stage, the life size photo of the late Doctor, with hundreds of scrolls bearing messages of sorrow and admiration for the late Dr Sun Yat Sen supplied by the various guilds in Singapore. In front of the photograph were hundreds of flower wreaths of various forms. Men, women and children wearing black bands came to pay their respects. Among those who spoke included Mr Teo Eng Hock and Mr Ng Seng Pang.
When the King visited the Happy ValleyIn 1924, His Majesty the King of Siam visited Happy Valley past midnight and was greeted at the gate by Lim Teck Kim who brought them on the visit of the grounds. They spent some time in Merry Opera Company before leaving at 1 am. Happy Valley was eventually sold off to British-American Tobacco Company. It's location was in Tanjong Pagar. Coincidentally, there is a street in that area named after him.
|Lim Teck Kim|
|Ho Ah Moey|
Lim Teck Kim is buried in Block 3 Division A, plot 252, 1/2 and plot 237
Advertisements. (1911, January 17). The Straits Times
Domestic Occurences. (1920, August 13). Malayan Tribune, page 4
The Happy Valley. (1924,February 2). The Straits Times
Siamese Royalties at the Happy Valley. (1924, September 30). The Singapore Free Press
Homage to Dr Sun Yat Sen. (1925, April 13). The Singapore Free Press
Saving Pneumonia Patients. (1932, July 9). The Singapore Free Press
Domestic Occurences. (1935, June 1). The Singapore Free Press
Death. (1951, June 11). The Straits Times, page 4
Casualty Details.[website] Commonwealth War Graves Commission.