Cemetery picture from 1950 (Images from the Past)

The description reads - View of a Chinese burial ground or cemetery on a hillside in Singapore. In the foreground, four paths converge at a large tree and a low stone shelter under which a crowd are gathered. Cars and two buses are parked on the unpaved road, and stone tombs can be seen on the grassy slope beyond. This is from the Elliot Collection which accessible online from the Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology website


Cemetery in Singapore
(source: Elliot's Collection, Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology)

The question remains -which cemetery is this ?  I can see closer to the right a large tomb but other than the fact that this is unlikely to be Bukit Brown. I can't really figure where it is for sure but if you were to ask me to make a guess, The pavilion does look a bit like one of the pavilions of Peck San Theng and Elliot himself did visit this cemetery among the few others he has visited. 


Do comment on my article if you know where this cemetery is for sure - especially if you have photos to back it up for me to share as well !

Pavilion 9 (photo taken by myself from the Kwong Wai Siew Peck San Theng Heritage Gallery)


Photo of different Pavilions
(photo taken by myself from the Kwong Wai Siew Peck San Theng Heritage Gallery)

Hills and Pavilions of Peck San Theng Pavilion 9
(photo taken by myself from the Kwong Wai Siew Peck San Theng Heritage Gallery)


References

Bishan: Living with the Dead.(website). Roots.gov.sg. National Heritage Board.


Comments

Labels

Show more